- RoyalPress 15″ x 15″ Color LED Industrial-Quality Digital Sublimation Heat Transfer Machine
- Fancierstudio Heat press Digital Heat Press 15 x 15 Sublimation Heat Press
- SURPCOS 15 x 12 Inch 5 in 1 Heat Press Machine
- TUSY 15×15 Industrial Sublimation Printer Heat Transfer Machine
- PlanetFlame Professional Clamshell 15×15″ Heat Press Machine
I often have questions from my clients about what sort of comic presses I use to press comic books. Presumably, the curiosity comes from two different groups: either they want to try pressing their comics, or they are just curious about how it is done.
As a member of many comic pressing Facebook groups and having read articles and watched “how-to” videos on the internet, I can say that there are both good and bad tips available on the internet.
I’m all for people trying to press their comic books. It’s a lot of fun, but it takes courage! So, I created this guide for all those of you who would like to try and heat press their own comic book and any other curious readers out there.
I have listed the best comic heat presses according to my experience and user reviews.
Best heat press machines for comic books
RoyalPress 15″ x 15″ Color LED Industrial-Quality Digital Sublimation Heat Transfer Machine
Fancierstudio Heat press Digital Heat Press 15 x 15 Sublimation Heat Press
SURPCOS 15 x 12 Inch 5 in 1 Heat Press Machine
TUSY 15×15 Industrial Sublimation Printer Heat Transfer Machine
PlanetFlame Professional Clamshell 15×15″ Heat Press Machine
How to do comic book cleaning?
Good comic book finds are bound to have some wear and tear, but there’s so much potential for affordable enjoyment. I often come across these on the budget racks because they’ve been sitting there without any protection from things like bags and boards.
Certain environmental factors can also cause the comic books to develop folds and creases. It also includes discoloration from dust particles.
When you have the equipment, patience, and understanding of your comic book’s features, it is possible to remove or prevent all of the aesthetic problems that typically accumulate with comic books over time.
Here is a complete process of cleaning the comic books:
- Buy a Hi-Polymer Eraser, Absorene Dry Eraser, Absorene Paper & Book Cleaner,
- Have a look and see if you can find any white areas on the front and back cover of the comic book. You might want to clean them up with the Hi-Polymer Eraser. As you erase away dirt with the rubber, apply gentle single direction strokes. This way, you will avoid scratching the surface of your comic and ruining any shine. After a few strokes, you will see a significant difference in the brightness of your comic books.
- Now, use Absorene Dry Eraser to loosen and remove any dirt and grime from the comic book. Simply cut off a small chunk of the eraser then start rubbing it against the surface. The Dry Eraser can easily damage your comic, so it’s better to go slow and apply gentle strokes. The sponge can also be very sticky, so make sure you don’t apply too much pressure.
- Absorene Paper & Book Cleaner is perfect for lifting dirt off of comic book pages. All you have to do is mold some putty into a right-sized form that can be used with the cleaning device then clean the pages with it. If you’re anything like me, this may take a little practice and patience but will be worth your time in the end.
- Rolling in a single direction, outward or parallel to the edge of the page is recommended. It can be best to move in small, circular motions in one area if you’re trying to remove a stubborn mark. Be careful not to exert too much pressure while doing this though so as not to make any further damage.
How to do comic sauna?
The basic purpose of a comic sauna is to add moisture to your comic book. The process is also known as comic humification. Here is how to do a comic sauna without breaking the bank:
- You will need a Transparent Tupperware container, a plastic platform, and a water Heating Kettle. Make sure that both the Tupperware container and the plastic platform are heat resistant.
- You will need to heat some water so that it can produce humidity. I used the water in my kettle to heat a pot of water. Pour the hot water on top of the platform, near or at the holes drilled for this purpose. The more steam, the better.
- Place the comic book on the platform in the sauna. I recommend that you place a poster board into one of the staples to avoid having to do so while it’s humidified beforehand so you don’t get it wet.
- Once the comic book is in the sauna, secure the lid and leave it there for 10 minutes. From my testing, I’ve been getting a positive response with this method.
- Once you’re done with the comic sauna, remove the lid of the Tupperware container. This will help avoid condensation from dripping onto your book. I recommend taking your time to tilt it so any water runoff slides away quickly.
How to heat press comic books?
Heat pressing can create a nice-looking comic book. It can remove defects like dents, bends, crunches, rippling, warping, and indentations which might otherwise ruin the comic book’s aesthetic appeal.
Here is how to heat press comic books:
1) Set the desired temperature
For copper-bronze age comic books, the first step is to heat the press to 170 Fahrenheit.
For modern books published in the late 90s and 2000s, I recommend you set your heat press machine to 140-145 F degrees to reduce the risk of pages sticking.
The issue with books after the late 90s and 2000 is that they are glossy comics which leads to page sticking. To avoid this, before you apply heat be sure to separate the pages so they don’t fuse.
2) Put the comic book in heat press
A magazine-sized backboard will provide the extra stability that you need when using your heat press machine. This way, you can lay a piece of baking parchment paper on top for transferring your printed comic onto high-oven temperatures.
Before lowering the heat press plate, make sure you put two pieces of baking parchment paper on the plate. This will keep the front and back cover of your comic book insulated from heat from the plate. The parchment paper must be wide enough to come up over one side of the backboard and all around it.
3) Start pressing
Lock the heat press plate by lowering it. Make sure it locks securely into place. The timer should now be counting down from 20 minutes and can be set to 30 minutes if needed.
If your heat press reaches to maximum time i.e. 999 seconds. Restart the process and add the previous time to make it 20-30 minutes depending upon the condition of the book.
4) Remove the comic book
You’ll need to wait for the machine to cool down before moving the comic book. Leave it clamped in place for at least 30 minutes or longer if possible. You might want to turn off the machine too so that it doesn’t waste power during cooldown.
Once the cooldown process is completed, you can remove the comic book from the press. Please use caution when removing it as heat presses can remain hot.
5) Flip the book and repeat the process if needed
If the quality of the comic book is not up to your desired standards after the first press, you may want to flip it and repeat the heat press steps.
What temperature do you press comics at?
The normal temperature for heat pressing comics is 165 degrees Fahrenheit. However, you can increase it to 175 or decrease it to 140 depending upon the condition of your comic book.
Can you press a comic with an iron?
Yes, you can press a comic book with a household iron. However, you will have no control over temperature and pressure.
How do you press a modern comic book?
Since the modern comic books are glossy. You need to protect and peel the pages during the heat press process. The rest of the process is the same as the old comic books.
How much does a comic book press cost?
A good comic book press costs $120 on average.
How long should you press a comic book?
You should press a comic book minimum of 20 minutes and a maximum of 30 minutes. You can repeat the process if you feel the results are not up to the mark.
Can pressing damage a comic?
Yes, there is very little chance of damage during the heat press process if you are a newbie. If you are an experienced presser, there is no chance of damage.
Can you press a signed comic?
No, you should not press a signed comic. There is a high that the ink might spread resulting in loss of sign as well as a lot of mess.
Can you use parchment paper to press comic books?
Yes, you can use parchment paper to press the comic books.
Can you remove fingerprints from comic books?
Yes, you can remove fingerprints from comic books by using a dry page cleaner. However, you should be careful as it can destroy the appearance of the pages.
Can foil comics be pressed?
Foil comics technically can’t be pressed because they’re already reflective
How can you tell if a comic book has been pressed?
You can tell by looking at the condition of the comic book. If it is an old comic book having a shiny appearance and clear comics, there is a high chance that it has been pressed.