We all want to save a little money, and sparing the expense of a few replacement mats isn’t such a bad thing. Read this article for some helpful tips on cleaning your Cricut mat and keeping it sticky for as long as possible.
Use the Cricut scraper tool.
Use the Cricut plastic scraper to clear away large amounts of vinyl or debris. The XL scraper is good for this job. Gently pull back and forth across your cutting mat. The scraper should dislodge any small pieces not removed during the production process.
Make use of the lint roller.
You can use a lint roller to pick up small pieces left on a mat after using a Cricut machine. To use, roll the lint roller over the mat’s surface carefully- you can also use it to collect small paper or glitter pieces.
Try Baby wipes.
Cricut mats are made to be easy to wipe clean. Just use some baby wipes in a circular motion to clean it. If the mat is very dirty, you may need 2 or 3 wipes. Remember that the pressure has to be gentle. You should always let air dry the mat before using the baby wipes.
Apply some Dish Soap
You can clean your Cricut mat with dish soap and warm water. Layout the mat on your counter, then pour your soap mixture on top of it. I recommend that you rinse your mat with warm water and dish soap. Scrub the surface in a circular direction and then air dry before using. Choose a mild dish soap and start using the scraper tool to remove any leftover materials.
Buy Awesome Spray
Cleaning your mat might take a little extra effort. Many great options are available, but one of the most popular is LA’s Totally Awesome spray. You can find it at most dollar stores or on Amazon. There are a lot of mixed reviews online about this solution. Some people say it’s really good, while others say it doesn’t work. However, it always worked for me!
If you are going to clean the mat with this spray, let it sit for five to ten minutes. Wipe it down with a squeegee or a scraper and use very light pressure, so you don’t damage the mat. Rinse the mat off in the water and lay it flat to dry.
Play with Goo Gone.
I recommend using Goo Gone; it’s an adhesive remover that I’m sure you’ve heard of. It has been used effectively again and again by the Cricut and crafting community!
Take advantage of Rubbing alcohol.
Mix rubbing alcohol (70% Isopropyl) with water in a spray bottle. Spray the surface, then wipe clean.
Once your Cricut Mat is clean, it’s time to hang it up to dry. A towel or paper would not be a good idea as you will find bits stuck on the mat. Wait for at least 30 minutes for the mat to be completely dry before using it again.
If you want to make the Cricut mat sticky again, Here are some steps to follow:
- Use your scraper to remove dirt, debris, or any leftover items. Then clean the mat with soap and water or baby wipes.
- Once the mat is clean, mark off the borders to prepare it for applying a new adhesive. Use masking or blue painter’s tape to protect the outer border where the rollers touch the mat.
- Many people recommend using Spray n Bond Basting Adhesive. This option is cheap and temporary, but it allows for easy resticking. Apply the new adhesive to your Cricut mat. Follow instructions on the back of the product to apply the adhesive to your mat. Let it dry for about 20 minutes before proceeding with the cutting process.
- 4 Best Printers for Cricut Print and Cut - April 2, 2022
- Sizzix Big Shot Review – Manual Die-Cutting Machine - April 1, 2022
- Cricut Joy vs Silhouette Portrait 3: Which One is Better? - March 29, 2022