Electric blankets are known as the best option for keeping you warm on a cold winter’s night, but as with any bedding, they sometimes need cleaning. You do not have to worry about cleaning an electric blanket. There’s no need to spend a lot of money at the dry cleaners for this! Furthermore, dry cleaning chemicals can cause significant damage to wires, radiators, and insulation.
Can you wash an electric blanket?
- Can you wash an electric blanket?
- How to machine wash an electric blanket?
- How to hand wash an electric blanket?
- Is it possible to dry an electric blanket in the dryer?
- Can heated blankets be dry cleaned?
- How do you get urine smell out of an electric blanket?
- What happens if you pee on an electric blanket?
- What to do if a heated blanket smells?
- Can we iron an electric blanket?
Yes, we can wash heated blankets. However, we need to be super careful during the cleaning process. New electric blankets can generally be washed in the washing machine. However, older blankets may need to be hand washed. Washing your electric blanket properly will keep it fresh and working. The wiring and heating components can be damaged by severe twisting or agitation.
People often ask questions like how do you wash an electric throw? Can you wash and dry electric blankets? Can you dry an electric blanket in the dryer?
Here are the answers.
How to machine wash an electric blanket?
- Unplug the blanket from the power source. A cord can typically be disconnected from modern electric blankets during washing. If you own an older model without an attached power cord, please see the instructions below to wash them by hand.
- Before putting the apparel in the machine, check to see that there are no exposed wires.
- Remove pet hair and debris from the fabric beforehand with a lint roller.
- In a pre-soaking setting, soak the blanket for between 10 and 15 minutes in cold water. You will be able to loosen stains this way before washing.
- Use the gentle or delicate cycle. Don’t add bleach or any other liquid or chemical to the laundry.
How to hand wash an electric blanket?
- Avoid immersing the power cord or control box in water when hand-washing an electric blanket. It is best to remove the cord if it is detachable. Don’t plug in the blanket either.
- Put some mild detergent in a large tub. Fill with cool water. Soak the blanket in water for 10 to 15 minutes, keeping the power cord out. For stubborn stains, swish the blanket for several minutes in water with gently applied pressure.
- Rinse the blanket thoroughly with cold water after carefully removing the soapy water from the tub. To remove excess water, apply very mild pressure before drying.
Heated blankets are as safe as heated mattress.
Is it possible to dry an electric blanket in the dryer?
Yes, it’s possible! The dryer needs to be set on low heat and timed for ten to fifteen minutes. Once it has lost moisture, you can hang it up to dry on a drying rack or clothesline. Ensure that the blanket is spread out evenly and look for any wiring that might have moved during cleaning.
Can heated blankets be dry cleaned?
No, you can not dry clean a heated blanket. It’s best to refrain from dry cleaning, despite its convenience factor, since dry cleaning uses chemicals that can damage your blanket’s wiring and heating mechanism.
How do you get urine smell out of an electric blanket?
We can get the urine smell out of an electric blanket easily with a vinegar wash.
- Add 1 cup vinegar to 3 cups water. Pour this solution over the urine-stained blanket and let sit for a few minutes.
- Baking soda can be used to cover the stain.
- Use cold or lukewarm water in the washing machine to wash the urine-stained electric blankets.
- Ensure that items stained with urine are air-dried.
What happens if you pee on an electric blanket?
Most probably, the blanket will absorb the moisture. There are no chances of eclectic shock when modern electric blankets are considered. However, if you have an old one, make sure the wiring has good insulation. Damaged wiring can result in an electric shock.
You can use the vinegar solution to get rid of the pee smell.
What to do if a heated blanket smells?
When you smell a burning blanket, unplug it. Investigating the blanket may reveal the burning of the heating elements. Don’t use it again and contact the manufacturing company for further guidance.
Can we iron an electric blanket?
Electric blankets shouldn’t be ironed as the iron’s heat may damage their insulation. The blanket will smooth out if hung from a shower rod, gently smooth it, and let gravity do the work.
Did you know that electric heated blankets and heated seats have same heating mechanism?
We can wash a heated blanket (Electic throw). However, we must be careful during the whole process. Make sure to use it after t has fully dried. If an eclectic blanket is not working after washing, make sure it is plugged in properly. There is a high chance that you might have damaged the wiring. If that is the case, contact the manufacturer.
In short, electric blankets have a similar heating mechanism to heated socks, wireless gloves, and hot jackets. You can wash them easily. All you need to do is to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to save the battery and heating coils.We may earn a small commission if you purchase through our links at no extra cost to you. Read full disclosure